I love using finger puppets in my teaching programs. They are adorable, fun and very useful for teaching autistic children new skills. I am always looking for new finger puppet ideas! This post will show you how to use finger puppets to teach kids on the spectrum.
3 Finger Puppet Ideas
Level of difficulty
I try to have the kids help me make finger puppets whenever I can so I tend to prefer simpler finger puppet ideas. The ideas below are pretty simply.
Minion finger puppets from 30 Minute Crafts
Polar bear finger puppet from I Heart Crafty Things
Dragon finger puppet tutorial from Makezine
Finger puppets can be a wonderful teaching tool in many different types of Learning programs with special needs kids. These tips will help you autistic child or students learn with finger puppets.
I love to use them to work on the following skills
Learning New Vocabulary
You can teach your child to label each item (“bear”, “dragon”, “minion”).
Pretend the finger puppet is asking your child some questions. Your child needs to answer the finger puppet’s questions!
Have your child work on his or her question list by asking the finger puppet the questions. (You can answer for the finger puppet.) 🙂
Teach your child to label what the finger puppet is doing. Action words could be “jumping”, “sitting”, “wiggling”, “dancing”, “hiding” or “spinning”, to name a few!
Fine Motor Skills
If your child helps you create the finger puppets, he or she will also be building better and more precise fine motor skills in the process. (*win-win*)
More Autism Activities
- Ideas for Sock Puppets
- Finger Puppet Stages
- DIY Finger Puppet Ideas and Tutorials
- Activities for Nonverbal Autistic Child
More Autism Resources
- The Successful Interaction with a Child with Autism Course – learn to better understand your autistic child or students with this complete course.
- Autism Activities Workbook Bundle – build communication skills, fine motor skills, sensory play skills and daily living skills, while helping your child or students to successfully manage any difficult behaviors, with these fun, educational, printable activities.
- Sensory Communication Workbook – Build communication skills with simple sensory activities.
- How to Make a Communication Binder Guide & Workbook – Learn how to create a Communication Binder for your child or student with autism using real photos. Follow my expert guide to learn how to use it to increase communication skills.
- Zoo Animals Play Dough Mats Bundle – use these printable play dough mat to work on the names of the animals, build language skills, and increase fine motor strength and precision in a fun, sensory way!
Finger Puppet Ideas
I hope you love these fun and educational finger puppet ideas!
Learn to create a Progress Nook for your child at home in 7 days
Receive 7 emails - 1 email each day - for FREE that will teach you exactly what to do, then receive emails once per week with fun learning activities for your child