I love using finger puppets in my teaching programs. They are adorable, fun and very useful for teaching autistic children new skills. I am always looking for new finger puppet ideas!
There are many different finger puppet ideas out there. Here are 3 of my favorites!
Level of difficulty
I try to have the kids help me make finger puppets whenever I can so I tend to prefer simpler finger puppet ideas.
1. Minion finger puppets from 30 Minute Crafts.
How to use finger puppets to teach children with autism
Finger puppets can be a wonderful teaching tool in many different types of Learning programs with special needs kids.
I love to use them to work on the following skills :
1. LEARNING NEW VOCABULARY : You can teach your child to label each item (“bear”, “dragon”, “minion”).
2. ANSWERING QUESTIONS : Pretend the finger puppet is asking your child some questions. Your child needs to answer the finger puppet’s questions!
3. ASKING QUESTIONS : Have your child work on his or her question list by asking the finger puppet the questions. (You can answer for the finger puppet.) 🙂
4. LABELING ACTIONS : Teach your child to label what the finger puppet is doing. Action words could be “jumping”, “sitting”, “wiggling”, “dancing”, “hiding” or “spinning”, to name a few!
5. FINE MOTOR SKILLS : If your child helps you create the finger puppets, he or she will also be building better and more precise fine motor skills in the process. (*win-win*)
If you are inspired by these finger puppet ideas, you may also enjoy Seriously Adorable and Fun Sock Puppet Ideas!
I absolutely love to hear from you! Please use the comments section to let me know what you think about these cute finger puppets ideas, if you are planning to try these projects with your kiddos and if you have tried them and how it went. I can’t wait to hear from you!
Learn to create a Progress Nook for your child at home
Receive 7 emails - 1 email each day - for FREE that will teach you exactly what to do, then receive emails once per week with fun learning activities for your child