A pointing book is a wonderful tool for increasing your child with autism’s vocabulary. This free printable pointing book for kids is one of the tools I use at my learning center for kids with autism and other special needs in Paris to increase vocabulary skills and teach pointing.
Free Printable Pointing Book for Kids with Autism and Other Special Needs
This free printable pointing book is a valuable tool to use as part of a communication program for children with special needs. As you are building communication skills, you will want to make sure that you teach your child to point as a way to request as well. This is often a difficult behavior for children with autism and other special needs to learn.
Simply learning to point to a photo may be your child’s first step towards learning verbal speech. If your child is already speaking, you can use your free printable pointing book to increase your child’s vocabulary or even to work on question asking and answering.
Materials needed to make a pointing book :
(We have included Amazon affiliate links for your convenience. You can read our disclosures here.)
- Free printable pointing book for kids (link to your download is right after the “materials section” of this post and at the end of the post)
- Binder ring
- Round stickers
- Laminating machine
- Laminating sheets
- Scissors or paper cutter
- Hole punch
Create your Free Printable Pointing Book for Kids
All you need to do to create your child’s pointing book is to print out the photos, laminate them, cut them out, use a hole punch to make a small hole in the top left corner of each photo, put each photo on the binder ring to make a small book!
Download the Free Printable Pointing Book for Kids.
Print out the photos.
Use laminating sheets and laminator to laminate the photos.
Use scissors or a paper cutter to cut photos apart.
Use a hole punch to make a hole in the top left corner of each photo. Hold the photos together, and create your pointing book, using the binder ring.
You will easily be able to flip through the book with your child to working on pointing and vocabulary skills together.
(These are the first 8 photos for your pointing book! I will be adding more over time so check back soon.)
Tips for using this this activity with your child
- Take your child’s hand and guide him physically to point if necessary at first.
- Make sure you say each word as you guide your child to point.
- If your child is already verbal, ask your child questions about each photo to build vocabulary, such as “what color is the cat?”.
Enjoy this free printable pointing book for kids I made for you and your child!
Looking for more printable sensory communication-building activities?
I created an entire workbook for you of printable activities that will help you build your child’s communication skills! Click here to go to the Sensory Communication Workbook.
More Autism Learning Resources
- The Successful Interaction with a Child with Autism Course – learn to better understand your autistic child or students with this complete course.
- Autism Activities Workbook Bundle – build communication skills, fine motor skills, sensory play skills and daily living skills, while helping your child or students to successfully manage any difficult behaviors, with these fun, educational, printable activities.
- Sensory Communication Workbook – Build communication skills with simple sensory activities.
- How to Make a Communication Binder Guide & Workbook – Learn how to create a Communication Binder for your child or student with autism using real photos. Follow my expert guide to learn how to use it to increase communication skills.
- Zoo Animals Play Dough Mats Bundle – use these printable play dough mat to work on the names of the animals, build language skills, and increase fine motor strength and precision in a fun, sensory way!
Free Printable Pointing Book
Use this pointing book to build pointing and communication skills with your child or students with autism.
Learn to create a Progress Nook for your child at home in 7 days
Receive 7 emails - 1 email each day - for FREE that will teach you exactly what to do, then receive emails once per week with fun learning activities for your child