Playdough mats are one of my favorite tools for building communication skills with kids with autism! This free printable Halloween bat playdough mat will help your child build communication skills, fine motor skills, have some sensory fun and learn new vocabulary.
Free printable bat playdough mat for Halloween
Materials needed for this activity
- Free printable bat playdough mat (link to your download is right after the “materials section” of this post and at the end of the post)
- Black playdough
- Laminating machine
- Laminating sheets
Create your bat playdough mat
Download the free Halloween bat playdough mat.
Print it out.
Use a laminating sheet and laminator to laminate the playdough mat.
Use black playdough to cover the spooky Halloween bat.
Tips for using the bat playdough mat
- Build communication skills :
- Build hand strength :
- Learn to take turns : take turns adding black playdough to the mat to fill it in.
- Print out 2 bat play dough mats. Cover yours with black play dough and prompt your child to do the same. Give him or her physical guidance to cover the bat at first if necessary.
- Point to the bat and say “BAT”.
- Point to the bat and ask your child “what is this?” Guide him or her to say “BAT” if necessary.
- As a second step, you can also add accessories to the bat (a hat, a tie) or add a mouth to work on different emotions (happy face, sad face, bored face, etc.).
- If your child is already verbal, ask your child questions such as “what is the bat doing?” (“flying”) and “what color is the water?” (“black”).
More Halloween Activities for Kids with Autism
- Non Candy Halloween Treats for Kids with Autism
- Sensory Friendly Halloween Costumes for Kids with Autism
- 5 Pumpkin Carving Ideas
More Printable Sensory Activities for Kids with Autism
I created an entire workbook for you of printable activities that will help you build your child’s communication skills! Click here to go to the Sensory Communication Workbook.
Bat Playdough Mat
I hope you love this fun Halloween sensory activity! Let me know if you use it at home or in your classroom.
Pin for later!
Pin for later!
Learn to create a Progress Nook for your child at home in 7 days
Receive 7 emails - 1 email each day - for FREE that will teach you exactly what to do, then receive emails once per week with fun learning activities for your child