Interactive play activities for kids with autism are essential. Children need to be engaged in activities to develop language, social and pretend play skills.
These activities will build sensory flexibility, fine motor skills, gross motor skills, communication, interaction and symbolic play skills.
Activities for kids with autism : Sensory Play
Sensory play is effective and fun! These are some of my favorite sensory play activities for children with autism.
- 25 Sensory box ideas for kids with autism
- Fish bowl playdough mat
- Colorful socks playdough mat
- Train sponge painting sensory activity
- 3 gluten-free playdough recipes
- Engage your child with one of these sensory dinosaur activities
- Food stamping
- Do some water play
Activities for kids with autism : Build fine motor skills
Building fine motor skills with your child can be challenging, but it doesn’t have to be! These engaging and educational activities can help.
- Build your child’s fine motor skills with this pail and clothespins autism activity
- Pick on these puzzles that every autism playroom should have
- Choose an item to play with from your child’s magic bag (it has everything you need in it to engage your child)
Activities for kids with autism : Build gross motor skills
Get active! Engage your child in some gross motor movement play.
Activities for kids with autism : Build communication skills
The question I hear the most at my autism center is “when will my child speak?”. If you have a child with autism, or you work with children with autism, then you know that communication delays and difficulties are central to an autism diagnosis. I created these activities to help your child develop speech and communication skills.
- Pick one of these communication building activities to engage your child
- Use trains to help your child learn to communicate
- Free printable “Fill the Fridge!” Game
Activities for kids with autism : Pretend Play
Pretend play skills can be difficult to teach your child but they are essential. These activities are some of my favorites!
- Choose one of these pretend play ideas for kids with autism to do now
- Create a DIY dollhouse with your little one
- Create a DIY plantable felt garden
Activities for kids with autism : Pets
Therapy animals can have an amazing impact on children with autism.
- Go to your aquarium and look at the fish – (related : why you should buy an aquarium for your child with autism)
- You will fall in love with these therapy animals
Activities for kids with autism : Family Activities
I created these family activities for you to increase interaction, learning and fun at home!
- Choose one of these board books to teach your child new vocabulary
- Enjoy watching a movie with your child thanks to these tips
- Engage in These Fun Family Outdoor Activities
- Pick a Weekend Ritual That Will Strengthen Your Family Bond
- Create a Beautiful Family Keepsake
- Snap some family photos with these tips for photographing special needs kids
- Go on a field trip with your child and create a field trip journal
- Travel with your autistic child
- Teach these functional activities
Featured ASK ALIX Question & Answer : “How Do I Get My Child to Play With Toys?” (Click the link to read my answer)
Are you going to try these activities for kids with autism? Tell me your favorite in the comments below.
Learn to create a Progress Nook for your child at home in 7 days
Receive 7 emails - 1 email each day - for FREE that will teach you exactly what to do, then receive emails once per week with fun learning activities for your child