These 10 calm down strategies for kids with autism will help your child relax, decrease tantrums and increase family peace & harmony!
Children with autism can be impulsive in their emotional responses. Often, they have a hard time reacting to situations in a way we would deem “appropriate”. Instead, a change in schedule or a situation going differently than the child expected can lead to discomfort, emotional instability and even violent tantrums.
At my learning center, one of the most frequently asked questions I get from parents is how to help their children be calmer, more relaxed, happier and to have fewer meltodowns.
Everyone agrees that a calmer child has more opportunties to experience joy and express creativity than a child that is trapped in a world of emotional turmoil!
These calm down strategies for kids with autism help children with autism self-regulate, communicate better and have more appropriate reactions when plans change :
1. Increase physical activity. These are some of my absolute favorite outdoor family activities.
2. Occupy your child’s time with fun and engaging activities such as this fun Spring Chicks Sensory Box.
3. When emotions are clearly getting a bit out of control, suggest a replacement behavior such as drinking a glass of water, going for a walk or listening to some calming music.
5. Cook together! These are 3 of my favorite gluten-free dessert recipes that you can enjoy with your child even if he or she is following a gluten-free diet.
7. Engage your child in a DIY project! At my learning house, we spend countless hours playing with our pretend play foods (like this pasta), play grocery shop, felt gardens and symbolic play ice cream shop.
8. Have some pretend play fun! These are some of our favorite pretend play learning themes at my learning center.
9. Do some calm down yoga with your child!
10. Get your child involved with a functional activity such as organizing toys in his or her playroom!
Pin for later!
Learn to create a Progress Nook for your child at home in 7 days
Receive 7 emails - 1 email each day - for FREE that will teach you exactly what to do, then receive emails once per week with fun learning activities for your child