This is the best molasses cookies recipe! One of my favorite things to do with my little ones at Le Chemin ABA, my learning house for children with autism, is bake. Baking is a great functional activity and a delicious way to build social skills and to teach following steps towards a specific outcome.
When made these cookies last week. Some of the kids here are following gluten-free diets so I have to be careful which kids I make these with but for those kids that are not on a particular gluten-free diet, this is a great recipe to make with kids as there are few instructions to follow and baking time is only 10 minutes.
I always make sure my little ones participate in our baking masterpieces every step of the way. The one hour wait time while the molasses cookie dough is chilling, is just enough time to go and do another fun activity, such as having lunch or racing wooden toy airplanes!
These cookies are everything you want a cookie to be : moist, delicious and easy to make!
Have fun making these molasses cookie with your little ones and let me know how everyone enjoys them!
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of molasses
- 2 cups whole grain flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of ground Ginger
- ½ cup of white sugar (for rolling)
- Use a kitchenaid or other stand mixer to mix butter, brown sugar and egg.
- Once smoothe, mix in the molasses.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt and spices and and add to the mixture.
- Cover mixture.
- Put in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375°F).
- Remove dough from refrigerator.
- Prepare a plate covered with white sugar.
- Make small balls with the dough.
- Roll each ball in the white sugar until covered.
- Place on a cookie sheet to bake.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until cookies crack on time. (Don't overbake! You want your cookies to be nice and chewy!)
Learn to create a Progress Nook for your child at home in 7 days
Receive 7 emails - 1 email each day - for FREE that will teach you exactly what to do, then receive emails once per week with fun learning activities for your child