15 of my favorite classroom calm down strategies for kids with autism. Your child can benefit from using these strategies at school, in a regular or adapted classroom setting and/or at home in a home program.
1. Breathe deeply and count to 5.
3. Drink a glass of water.
4. Do 5 jumping jacks.
6. Use a notebook to write down repetitive or disruptive thoughts.
7. Use a calming sensory box.
8. Take a break outside the classroom.
9. Have a snack.
10. Listen to relaxing music.
11. Do some adapted yoga.
12. Take a bathroom break and rinse your face using cool water. A cold, wet towel on the forehead for 20-30 seconds can work wonders!
13. Use a spinning top.
14. Use a DIY fidget.
15. Communicate. (Using adapted sign language can help increase communication in individuals with autism.)
These Classroom calm down strategies for Kids with Autism will help make this a better school year for your child
One of the best things you can do to help your child thrive at school is to give the classroom teacher the tools necessary to help your child thrive.
Of course, all of these strategies can be used in your progress nook at home as well.
If you’re in Paris and looking for a fun and educational outing, I highly recommend the Natural History Museum in the Jardin des Plantes. I created a free printable treasure hunt to make your visit with your child even more fun! You can print yours out by clicking here.
Now that your child is focused and calm, it’s time to plan some fun activities! Here are some ideas :
Pin for later!
Learn to create a Progress Nook for your child at home in 7 days
Receive 7 emails - 1 email each day - for FREE that will teach you exactly what to do, then receive emails once per week with fun learning activities for your child